Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculations don't compute...

Here's what I have...

A1 B1 C1
16.16 =((c1-a1)/2)+a1 24.44

Which, of course, gives us the value of 20.3 in cell B1, which is the
mid-point between the values in cells A1 and C1. However, why do I get
different percentages when I calculate a1/b1 and b1/c1? Shouldn't the
percentage be the same if the difference between the numbers is the same?

Thanx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, it shouldn't... :)

1/10 is different from 91/100, right? The difference between them is the
same (9), and so is the percentage...

Regards!

"Steven Sinclair" escreveu na
mensagem ...
Here's what I have...

A1 B1 C1
16.16 =((c1-a1)/2)+a1 24.44

Which, of course, gives us the value of 20.3 in cell B1, which is the
mid-point between the values in cells A1 and C1. However, why do I get
different percentages when I calculate a1/b1 and b1/c1? Shouldn't the
percentage be the same if the difference between the numbers is the same?

Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You would get the same percentage if B1 was the geometric mean of A1 and C1,
but you've got the arithmetic mean.

You can get the geometric mean by
=SQRT(A1*C1) or =(A1*C1)^0.5 or =GEOMEAN(A1,C1)

You will, I hope, realise that your arithmetic mean could have been
calculated, rather than =((C1-A1)/2+A1), as
=(A1+C1)/2 or as AVERAGE(A1,C1)
--
David Biddulph

"Steven Sinclair" wrote in