Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Address List Sort Help Needed - 1 attachment

I have an address list that I need to sort by the addressee's last name. My
problem is that some of the adressees are businesses and some have titles.
Each address is in a separate row.

Should I use a formula to replace the titles (Mr. Mrs. Dr.) with nothing?
How do I handle sorting the businesses? I would want to sort these by the
first word in the name. The people I would want to sort by their last name,
ignoring Jr. Sr. II, III.

Can this be done? I am attaching an Excel list for your consideration.

Thank you!!

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Scott G wrote in
8.18:

1410 Mr & Mrs Dennis D Kaney;226 Triton Rd;Ormond Beach;FL;32724
1418 Mrs Brendan Sayers Jr; 500 N Oleander Avenue;DeLand; FL;32724
1419 Microsoft Corporation; 1 Gates Way; Redmond; WA 11152

The first column is account number. Columns B through F contain the name,
address, city, state and zip code.

Sort Order would be by name. Desired results would be Kaney, Microsoft,
Sayers.

Thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Normally you would extract the word you want to sort on into another
helper column and sort on that column. However, it would be difficult
to write a formula to do this from your examples - in the first example
you want to extract the last word in column B, in the second example it
is the third word from four, and in the third example it is the first
word. How would any formula know where to get the word from in such a
diverse spread?

Pete