Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I change Excel so it doesn't autochange numbers I put in?

I am becoming frustrated with Excel because when I input numbers, such as
10/17, it changes it to 17-Oct. Also, when I input 20.00, it changes it to
20. I don't want this to change. Is there a setting I can change?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The 10/17 will always default to a date, but obviously 13/17 won't as there
is no thirteenth month. If you want the result of 10 divided by 17, enter
=10/17, if you just want to display 10/17, prefix it with an apostrophe,
'10/17, the apostrophe will show in the formula bar but not in the cell.
To display 20.00, format the cell(s) as a number with two decimal places,
Regards,
Alan.
"luluandkirk" wrote in message
I am becoming frustrated with Excel because when I input numbers, such as
10/17, it changes it to 17-Oct. Also, when I input 20.00, it changes it to
20. I don't want this to change. Is there a setting I can change?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Highlight the cell you want to change i.e. 10/17. Go to the top toolbar -
Format, Cell,Number, Date and pick the format you want. For the 20.00 it's
Format, Cell, Number, Number, and on the right, select 2 decimals.

Hope this helps!

Carole )