Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default SUM formula not working

I trying to add a range of cells but I keep getting the Value of ZERO back.
Its a very basic formula:

=sum(e2:e908)

The value keeps coming up on the sheet as zero, yet when I go into the
Formula Audit area it shows the value as what it should be 4231.8 any ideas
why it keeps showing up as ZERO on the sheet? I have checked all my cell
formatting and its all set properly. I've used this same formula on previous
sheets with no problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tyson

Sounds like the numbers are actually text.

Formatting to number does nothing. You have to coerce the data in numeric
format.

Format all to General then copy an empty cell.

Select data range and Editpaste SpecialAddOKEsc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:46:01 -0700, Tyson Porter
wrote:

I trying to add a range of cells but I keep getting the Value of ZERO back.
Its a very basic formula:

=sum(e2:e908)

The value keeps coming up on the sheet as zero, yet when I go into the
Formula Audit area it shows the value as what it should be 4231.8 any ideas
why it keeps showing up as ZERO on the sheet? I have checked all my cell
formatting and its all set properly. I've used this same formula on previous
sheets with no problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tried that, my entire sheet is formatted as "General" but when I enter the
formula it still comes up as zero. I've even tried breaking it down into
groups thinking perhaps it was because it was adding to many numbers. But
even that comes back as a total of zero....

wrote:

I trying to add a range of cells but I keep getting the Value of ZERO back.
Its a very basic formula:

=sum(e2:e908)

The value keeps coming up on the sheet as zero, yet when I go into the
Formula Audit area it shows the value as what it should be 4231.8 any ideas
why it keeps showing up as ZERO on the sheet? I have checked all my cell
formatting and its all set properly. I've used this same formula on previous
sheets with no problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

type a 1 in an unused cell, then click on copy, then select the defect list
of numbers and go to Edit, Paste Special..., click on Multiply, then OK. This
should make sure all your numbers are numbers and not text.
--
~Christine, CPA