Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Print Preview Freezes Excel 2003 (spoolsv.exe)

Hi,

This is the first time that we have encountered this kind of problem.

We have a printer that is hooked up on one machine via USB interface.
The driver is installed (and updated) on the machine and we shared the
printer. We connect to this printer via another machine and we can
successfully test print on this machine. The problem arises when we
open a file in Excel and press on "Print Preview" then try to close the
preview window. The Excel become "Not Responding" and upon checking the
Task Manager, we find out that spoolsv.exe (the printer spool service)
is taken up 40~70% of CPU time and the memory usage grow substantially
(memory leak?). This does not happen on all machines and a re-install
of the OS does seem to be able to fix it. However, is there any simpler
way that we can fix this problem? (do a windows repair? replace
spoolsv.exe?)

Our machines are running Windows 2000 Pro and are all on the same
domain.

Thank you,

Charlie
--]