Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't rename worksheet

Excel 2003, when trying to rename a worksheet, I get the following message:
"Cannot rename a sheet to the same name as another sheet, a referenced object
library or a workbook referenced by Visual Basic"

I created the file and I don't use VB, don't know what a referenced object
library is, and there are no other sheets with the same name. There was a
worksheet with the same name which was mistakenly deleted--I can't find it
anywhere, and there is no protection on any worksheets in the file. ??

Thanks for idea. I want to use the same name as the deleted sheet: I've
copied the deleted sheet from a backup file but can't use the old name.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I bet you didn't delete it. Maybe you just hid it.

You could try:
Format|Sheet|Unhide.

The sheet could be "very hidden". So it won't show up in this dialog.

You could try this next:
Hit alt-F11 (to get to the VBE)
hit ctrl-r (to see the project explorer)
select your workbook's project
Hit the asterisk on the number keypad.

You should see a list of all the objects that belong to this project--including
all the worksheets.

If you see one that has the name you're trying to use in parentheses, like:
Sheet1(YourSheetNameHere)

Then click on it and hit F4 to see its properties.
Look for visible on the left hand side in that window
Click on the right hand side of that option.
choose: -1 - xlsheetvisible
using the dropdown arrow

Then back to excel to see if you can actually see that worksheet.

Then you can delete it or rename it or just use it.

--

Dave Peterson