Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HELP ME!!!!!

I need to find the cheapest in a range of data and then display the cheapest
as a name (text), using Excel.

So if I had

Dog £50
Cat £67
Goldfish £20

CHEAPEST: Goldfish

I would also like to know how to do multiple If statements so that if I want
to on another sheet set it up so that one cell contained

If A1 = Goldfish this cell is £10 a month
If its dog this cell = £20 a month

etc.

Cheers,
--
I don''t know what I''m doing on excel! Please HElp!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need to have it so that they are seperate because the price is based on
mobile phones, animals were an example so the mobile phone 'plan may have a
formula in the price one like

A1*B1 with Orange Pay As You Go Next to it...
--

"Johnson" wrote:

I need to find the cheapest in a range of data and then display the cheapest
as a name (text), using Excel.

So if I had

Dog £50
Cat £67
Goldfish £20

CHEAPEST: Goldfish

I would also like to know how to do multiple If statements so that if I want
to on another sheet set it up so that one cell contained

If A1 = Goldfish this cell is £10 a month
If its dog this cell = £20 a month

etc.

Cheers,
--
I don''t know what I''m doing on excel! Please HElp!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this and see if it works for you.

Put the costs in Column A (A1 to A3)
Put the animals in Column B (B1 to B3)
In cell C1 put the following formula =MIN(A1:A3)
This will give you the minimum value for your costs.

Then in cell D1 put the following formula =VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B3,2,FALSE)

This will look at the minimum value in C1 and then look at columns A1 to B3
and find that minimum. It will then return the 2nd cell to the right (the
animal)

Test it out and see if it works, then apply it to your real data.

As for your second question it all depends on how many IF's you would need,
if you only need a couple you could use IFs but a better way would be to set
up a table on another sheet that lists all of the animals and their
corresponding prices and then once again use the VLOOKUP function to find the
info you want from the table.

Try the 1st part to get you going.

"Johnson" wrote:

I need to find the cheapest in a range of data and then display the cheapest
as a name (text), using Excel.

So if I had

Dog £50
Cat £67
Goldfish £20

CHEAPEST: Goldfish

I would also like to know how to do multiple If statements so that if I want
to on another sheet set it up so that one cell contained

If A1 = Goldfish this cell is £10 a month
If its dog this cell = £20 a month

etc.

Cheers,
--
I don''t know what I''m doing on excel! Please HElp!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cheers for that, does anybody have any impresive ways to show of using excel?
I'm trying to proove to my son I can do something better than he can!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A couple good ways to learn nifty things in excel.
- look at all the functions in excel and look at the examples they give for
the functions and then try them out yourself
- When you get free moments come onto this forum and just start looking
through questions and the answers people give. You will learn a ton by doing
this.