Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I think I need an IF function....

I need a formula to help me split up class lists. The names are currently
"john, Doe" in A4 what I need is to have "John" in A4 and "Doe" B2. I've
seen it on another forum years ago but can't find it anymore.

I also have to take down all the students user names can someone provide me
with a formula that can use all of the students first name and last innitial
eg. johnd

Tks

--
A.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the entry "Doe, John" in cell A1, here is how to get everything
before the comma:
=MID(A1,1,FIND(",",A1,1)-1)

....and everything after the comma:
=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What formula can i use to combine the whole first name with the first initial
of the last name. exp.

A2 A3 A4
Doe John johnd
--
A.

"Dave O" wrote:

With the entry "Doe, John" in cell A1, here is how to get everything
before the comma:
=MID(A1,1,FIND(",",A1,1)-1)

....and everything after the comma:
=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=LOWER(A3&LEFT(A2,1))

However, as I think you have got your columns and rows mixed up, I
think you are likely to have Doe in A2 and John in B2 and you need the
formula in C2. If this is the case, then you will need this formula in
C2:

=LOWER(B2&LEFT(A2,1))

and you can then copy this down column C to generate other usernames
from student names in columns A and B.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Dave O" wrote:

With the entry "Doe, John" in cell A1, here is how to get everything
before the comma:
=MID(A1,1,FIND(",",A1,1)-1)

....and everything after the comma:
=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)))

Need some comments on my Utility_Move class module. jchen Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 21st 06 07:05 PM
Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM