Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Splitting item numbers

I need to sort a column of items by the last letter in the item number:

BA101A
BA102C
ST101A

How can I do this? Do I need to split the cell and then sort it? If so how
do I do that?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a helper column to the right of your data and parse off the last
character of the item number.

So if the item number is in column C starting at row 2, enter the formula:

=RIGHT(C2,1)

Copy it down the column and use this as the sort column
--
Kevin Backmann

"Spencer" wrote:

I need to sort a column of items by the last letter in the item number:

BA101A
BA102C
ST101A

How can I do this? Do I need to split the cell and then sort it? If so how
do I do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Spencer" wrote in message
I need to sort a column of items by the last letter in the item number:

BA101A
BA102C
ST101A

How can I do this? Do I need to split the cell and then sort it? If so how
do I do that?

If you use a helper column =RIGHT(A1) you can sort by that.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can get the last character by using a blank column and entering
this formula:

=RIGHT(A1,1)

assuming your data is in A1. Copy this formula down the column. Include
this column in your sort area and use this column as the key field to
sort on (plus the other field).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Spencer wrote:
I need to sort a column of items by the last letter in the item number:

BA101A
BA102C
ST101A

How can I do this? Do I need to split the cell and then sort it? If so how
do I do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In an adjacent column, add

=RIGHT(A1,1)

copy down, and sort by that column

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Spencer" wrote in message
I need to sort a column of items by the last letter in the item number:

BA101A
BA102C
ST101A

How can I do this? Do I need to split the cell and then sort it? If so how
do I do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way would be to use a helper column. For example, in the cell next to
BA101A, use the following formula to determine the last letter.

=right(A1,1)

Copy this formula down as needed. Then you can sort by this column.

HTH,
Paul