Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "the file already exsists in this location do you want to replace.

how do i get rid of this prompt?is it something in excel or in my windows
folder?
my sheets should automatically overwrite changes to a worksheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just use File | Save rather than File | Save As to 'update' a file with
latest changes in it.
The prompt is caused by Excel noting that you've used the Save As option and
it's trying to protect you from yourself. And to keep you from being one of
those people who later comes here posting "HELP! I overwrote a file with a
different file, how do I get my original file back?" type of thing.

If you're using File | Save As to save into a backup location then you're
going to get the prompt each time you try to save into a different location
where a file with that name exists.

If you were doing the save from within VBA code and didn't want the user to
be nagged you could inhibitors to the prompt:
Sub JustOverwriteIt()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="M:\FileToSave.xls"
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

"Jenn" wrote:

how do i get rid of this prompt?is it something in excel or in my windows
folder?
my sheets should automatically overwrite changes to a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "the file already exsists in this location do you want to repl

Thanks for the advice.I didn't create this sheet and others use this sheet on
their computer as well and don't get the prompt.Thats why I am stumped with
this.

"Jenn" wrote:

how do i get rid of this prompt?is it something in excel or in my windows
folder?
my sheets should automatically overwrite changes to a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the advice :)
I did not create this sheet tho.Others use these sheets as well on their own
computers and never gets this prompt.Thats why I am stumped at why I get it.

"Jenn" wrote:

how do i get rid of this prompt?is it something in excel or in my windows
folder?
my sheets should automatically overwrite changes to a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not to worry about the double post - I have no idea if system is accepting my
comments or not today - arrrrggghhhhh!

I can only think that the people are trying to save over existing file of
same name on their system. It could be that they are picking up the file
from one location as opening it from a shared folder and then trying to save
it locally?

It might just take watching over their shoulder while they go through the
entire process from open to save to see exactly why it's happening on other
systems.

"Jenn" wrote:

how do i get rid of this prompt?is it something in excel or in my windows
folder?
my sheets should automatically overwrite changes to a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We all live in different states/countries lol
These sheets are game sheets.The person who created them add a button to
them so all we ahve to do is click "NEXT GAME" and it saves to a folder that
is created on our hard drive.Then we can move on to round 2 but for some
reson when I click "NEXT GAME" on round 2 I am prompted to replace the first
one.It is designed to replace it on its own that way if I have to reboot I
can go into my game sheet folder and I am ready for the next round.

"Jenn" wrote:

how do i get rid of this prompt?is it something in excel or in my windows
folder?
my sheets should automatically overwrite changes to a worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could modify the code on that button to include the
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
....save file code here
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Lines of code to it - but next time you get a new copy of the file you'd
have to make the same change. Right click on the button and choose Assign
Macro and use [Edit] to view the code.

Best thing would be to see if you can locate the person who has control of
the 'master copy' of the file and get them to include the inhibiting code at
the source.