Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing the size of sheetname tabs

Can the size of sheetname tabs be changed, so that if you have say 30
of them you don't have to scroll a country mile to find the correct
sheet?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No you can't!

BUT ... you can right click on the small directional arrows to the left of
the sheet tabs, and get an XL built-in table of contents.
This lists the first 15 tabs, and can be expanded into an infinitely
scrolling list, where a single click on any sheet name will put you
immediately into that sheet, much as a hyperlink.
--
HTH,

RD

"Edward" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can the size of sheetname tabs be changed, so that if you have say 30
of them you don't have to scroll a country mile to find the correct
sheet?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Related to this, is there a quick way to move a sheet when you have a
lot of sheets in a file?

I was working on a file yesterday where I have about 30 sheets, one for
each location, where I record electricity usage information. Every
quarter I produce a summary sheet from these 30 and I want to move the
previous quarter's sheet to be beyond the 30 site sheets (i.e. so that
it is in front of the summary sheet from 2 quarters ago etc). As the
sheet tabs contain the name of the location, I can only see about 5 or
6 of them on screen, so dragging the previous summary sheet to position
31 had to be done in several stages. Any tips on improving this?

Pete

RagDyer wrote:
No you can't!

BUT ... you can right click on the small directional arrows to the left of
the sheet tabs, and get an XL built-in table of contents.
This lists the first 15 tabs, and can be expanded into an infinitely
scrolling list, where a single click on any sheet name will put you
immediately into that sheet, much as a hyperlink.
--
HTH,

RD

"Edward" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can the size of sheetname tabs be changed, so that if you have say 30
of them you don't have to scroll a country mile to find the correct
sheet?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pete-
If you right click on the tab name, one of the options that appears is
"Move or Copy". If you select that you can move the tab by indicating
your preferred position within a list, rather than clicking and
dragging.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't understand your problem ... I think!

Just click and drag the tab *exactly* as you would if you were moving a cell
down a column.
Hover the cursor just outside the left or right border of the tabs, and the
*tabs will scroll* at a much more leisurely pace then the rows scroll.

Or am I not understanding you?

RD

ps.com...

RagDyer wrote:
No you can't!

BUT ... you can right click on the small directional arrows to the left
of
the sheet tabs, and get an XL built-in table of contents.
This lists the first 15 tabs, and can be expanded into an infinitely
scrolling list, where a single click on any sheet name will put you
immediately into that sheet, much as a hyperlink.
--
HTH,

RD

"Edward" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can the size of sheetname tabs be changed, so that if you have say 30
of them you don't have to scroll a country mile to find the correct
sheet?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Edward

For a macro solution see this google search thread.

http://snipurl.com/ydgp

Code by Bob Phillips.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 6 Oct 2006 12:09:07 -0700, "Edward" wrote:

Can the size of sheetname tabs be changed, so that if you have say 30
of them you don't have to scroll a country mile to find the correct
sheet?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey RD,

where have you been keeping this little gem? Your answer seems to imply
that everyone knows this, but it was new to me - it seems like the kind
of thing one discovers by accident.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Pete

RagDyer wrote:
I don't understand your problem ... I think!

Just click and drag the tab *exactly* as you would if you were moving a cell
down a column.
Hover the cursor just outside the left or right border of the tabs, and the
*tabs will scroll* at a much more leisurely pace then the rows scroll.

Or am I not understanding you?

RD

ps.com...

RagDyer wrote:
No you can't!

BUT ... you can right click on the small directional arrows to the left
of
the sheet tabs, and get an XL built-in table of contents.
This lists the first 15 tabs, and can be expanded into an infinitely
scrolling list, where a single click on any sheet name will put you
immediately into that sheet, much as a hyperlink.
--
HTH,

RD

"Edward" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can the size of sheetname tabs be changed, so that if you have say 30
of them you don't have to scroll a country mile to find the correct
sheet?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I honestly thought it was/is common knowledge!

I've been doing sheet arrangement that way as long as I can remember.

RD

oups.com...

RagDyer wrote:
I don't understand your problem ... I think!

Just click and drag the tab *exactly* as you would if you were moving a
cell
down a column.
Hover the cursor just outside the left or right border of the tabs, and
the
*tabs will scroll* at a much more leisurely pace then the rows scroll.

Or am I not understanding you?

RD

ps.com...

RagDyer wrote:
No you can't!

BUT ... you can right click on the small directional arrows to the
left
of
the sheet tabs, and get an XL built-in table of contents.
This lists the first 15 tabs, and can be expanded into an infinitely
scrolling list, where a single click on any sheet name will put you
immediately into that sheet, much as a hyperlink.
--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may
benefit !
oups.com...