Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Question

I have a simple spread sheet with several different column headings. A1 thru
A7 contain different headings requiring different data for each row. A3 is a
heading which requires an 11 digit numeric code (never the same number). A7
requires either a "Positive" or "Negative" finding. I need to find out what
my effiency rate is based on the number of the 11 digit numeric codes versus
the "Positive" findings only. Help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SkyDiver,

=COUNTIF(B7:IV7,"Positive")/COUNTIF(B3:IV3,"<")

gives the fraction of entries (filled in values on row 3) that have "Positive" in row 7.

Note that this doesn't check that all values are filled in, paired properly, etc. That would
require a different approach:

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:IV3<"")*(B7:IV7="Positive"))/SUMPRODUCT((B3:IV3<"")*(B7:IV7<""))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP