Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Amazon calculations

No experience with Amazon accounting at all, so this is in the way of a
guess. But I have had to deal with Excel being used to perform calculations
and having to deal with similar minor differences in calculation between its
results and those from an accounting program. We found that using Precision
as Displayed cured the problem. That is set using Tools | Options | and a
check on the [Calculation] tab.

"Richard Wrigley" wrote:

Gretings from Norfolk (UK)

I have just found this group, so may be asking a question previously
answered.

I am trying to set up n excel spread sheet for a friend for her sale of
books on Amazon.

Does anybody know the way Amazon calculate their fees and VAT - I know the
percentages and deducted amounts, but every time I try I get errors between
their figures and my calculated values of + or - 1 penny.
I have tried various rounding techniques, but to no avail

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JLatham, I was reading your response and tried your suggestion on a blank
workbook. I got a message saying "Data will permanently lose accuracy".
What is this about?

Les

"Richard Wrigley" wrote:

Gretings from Norfolk (UK)

I have just found this group, so may be asking a question previously
answered.

I am trying to set up n excel spread sheet for a friend for her sale of
books on Amazon.

Does anybody know the way Amazon calculate their fees and VAT - I know the
percentages and deducted amounts, but every time I try I get errors between
their figures and my calculated values of + or - 1 penny.
I have tried various rounding techniques, but to no avail

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Precision as displayed" means that a cell showing $1.51 will equal exactly
$1.51, not $1.51211231232. The "accuracy" you lose by using this option is
probably irrelevant for accounting, but not for calculations which require
more precisions; i.e., engineering or scientific measurements.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Richard Wrigley" wrote:

Gretings from Norfolk (UK)

I have just found this group, so may be asking a question previously
answered.

I am trying to set up n excel spread sheet for a friend for her sale of
books on Amazon.

Does anybody know the way Amazon calculate their fees and VAT - I know the
percentages and deducted amounts, but every time I try I get errors between
their figures and my calculated values of + or - 1 penny.
I have tried various rounding techniques, but to no avail

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is as Dave F has explained - all of the digits beyond what you currently
have displayed are truncated. In our situation we made sure everything was
set to display 2 digits to the right of the decimal and switched over. This
brought Excel's calculations in line with those of our Deltek accounting
system software's results. Since we were dealing with accounting, and in
theory there are no digits beyond the 2nd decimal place, the 'loss of
accuracy' was a non player. It would definitely be a factor in doing
precision calculations in fields other than accounting.

"Richard Wrigley" wrote:

Gretings from Norfolk (UK)

I have just found this group, so may be asking a question previously
answered.

I am trying to set up n excel spread sheet for a friend for her sale of
books on Amazon.

Does anybody know the way Amazon calculate their fees and VAT - I know the
percentages and deducted amounts, but every time I try I get errors between
their figures and my calculated values of + or - 1 penny.
I have tried various rounding techniques, but to no avail

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why not use the ROUND function to control this.
I believe the Precision as Displayed method affect all worksheets you open
thereafter until you reset the option; this could cause problems.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Richard Wrigley" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greetings from Norfolk

Have used the ROUND functions in MANY combinations, ROUNDUP, ROUND &
ROUNDDOWN, with varying accuracies - 2, 3, 4, 6 - none cure the problem with
Amazon accounts.

Whilst the errors are small - 1 p, when summed they become significant.