Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping / Fusing Cells

Can I fuse rows together into one unit? (Not merging.)

I have a spreadsheet that is conditionally formatted to alternate color at
every 5th row.

The five rows are merged into one cell at the first column; the rows are not
merged for the other columns. (For example, one contract number applies to
all five rows--so, the merged cells in the first column, along with the
shading, show that the five rows belong to the same contract.)

When I use the autofilter feature--my grouping totally disappears. The
filter erases every row within the group that doesn't have the filtered info.

Is there a way to "fuse" the group of rows so that they act as one unit?
I'd like for all five rows to show up when one of the five rows WITHIN THE
GROUP has the information in the filter. It would also allow me to sort the
first column by number without losing the adjacent rows that are part of that
group.

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you can add a new column that can be used for the grouping.

Put a unique key into each group.

Then use another column to hold some sort of record indicator (1, 2, ..., 5) so
you can use that as the secondary key when you're sorting.

I'd keep all the keys visible (I like it that way), but you could hide the keys
in the second, third, ..., fifth row of the group.

But you can use Format|Conditional formatting to hide those "duplicated" values.

http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFor...html#Duplicate
from Debra Dalgleish's site.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can't think of a neat way to do it. One way would be to unmerge the cells
in the first column. Then repeat the value that was in the first row/cell
of the group. Use conditional formatting to set the font colour and the
background colour to be the same ... hence making the text invisible. You
can now filter on column A and see all the rows in the groups.

Conditional Formatting | Formula is: =$A2=$A1 Font = white, Cell shading
= white

I don't know of a way to do what you are suggesting

Regards

Trevor