Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why won't my cells change from Text to % or Numbers

I have a spreadsheet that was copied from a web page and pasted into Excel.

Each cell shows a percentage. When I go to get an average of a column using
=average(a1:a20) I do not get a result. I get #DIV/0!

I have tried to switch the column to Percentage and to a number. Changing
the number of decimal points has no affect. I have even tried a few of the
customer

If I were to guess. I would say that the problem is the 4 spaces found after
the percentage. So each cell has as an example "100.00% " (minus the
quotation marks).

There are hundreds of cells so deleteing the spaces in each cell is not an
idea I am looking to embrace.

Thanx in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

copied from a web page and pasted into Excel.
If I were to guess. I would say that the problem is the 4 spaces found
after
the percentage. So each cell has as an example "100.00% "

Yep, that's you're problem and copying from a web site could mean those
spaces are not standard spaces but html.

There's a macro at this site that will clean all that garbage out. I do a
lot of copying from the web and this macro saves a lot time.

Biff

"Ezlpo" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that was copied from a web page and pasted into Excel.

Each cell shows a percentage. When I go to get an average of a column
using
=average(a1:a20) I do not get a result. I get #DIV/0!

I have tried to switch the column to Percentage and to a number. Changing
the number of decimal points has no affect. I have even tried a few of the
customer

If I were to guess. I would say that the problem is the 4 spaces found
after
the percentage. So each cell has as an example "100.00% " (minus the
quotation marks).

There are hundreds of cells so deleteing the spaces in each cell is not an
idea I am looking to embrace.

Thanx in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To make things even better you could put a custom button on one of your
toolbars and assign that macro to the button.

Thanks for the feedback!

Biff