Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protection Problem Using A Network

I am having a problem with something that should be simple. I am using a
excel to create a template for doing quotations. The users can edit a range
of rows but cannot edit the row with the total is (authorisation reasons). I
have tried 2 ways - one unlocking the cells that can be edited and then
protecting the sheet and secondly tried using the Allow Users to Edit Ranges
function and allowed Everyone on our network permission to edit these rows
without the usse of a password, then password protected it.
It works for me, I can edit the range of rows, but the other users cannot
(the delete/insert lines are greyed out. Then when I have tried it on a PC
not on my network I cannot edit either (via both methods).
PS I am using Terminal Server to access the network
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I overcame this problem by using 2 sheets in one workbook. On the one
sheet, I allocated approximately 40 rows to be used to draw up a quotation.
At the bottom of this is the total row.

Once a quotation has been drafted, the user clicks on a button, which then
copies across only the used rows to sheet 2, which I set up as a letterhead.
Obviously the customer name and address, date and so on also gets copied
over.
At the bottom of this sheet, I then paste special the sum of the used rows,
and below that the footnotes - if you so wish - stating the validity period
etc. Sheet 1 then gets cleaned out again, ready for the next quotation.

This means that, whether the user wants to do a single line quote, or even a
40 line quote, he is not allowed to tamper with the setup. To make matters
even more interesting, I actually did mine in such a way that I could select
a language preference as well.

--
kassie

never stop learning

"Duncan, UK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, I will try that.

But I cannot understand why the Protection doesn't work on a file I am using
on a Network. I have tried again and I can unlock certain rows and lock
others, Protect the sheet, close and save the file. And I can then
edit/delete the unlocked rows, but for all others this is impossible eg right
click and delete/insert are greyed out.

"Duncan, UK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The secret is in what you say:
I have tried again and I can unlock certain rows and lock others and then,
what I am sure you do not want the others to do, Protect the sheet. Iow,
you unprotect, make the changes, then protect again. No use in protecting,
if you are going to allow others to make changes in any case?

If you want a copy of my workbook, let me know at
AMPLEASE, and I'll forward it to you

--
kassie

never stop learning