Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing cells defined as Time hh:mm

I looked at a couple of similar questions but have not been able to achieve a
good result.

I have a few cells defined as Time HH:MM. I want to sum them up so I get
hours and minutes. In the cell to hold the total, I used "=SUM(N43:N47)". I
formatted the Total cell as custom with a format of [hh]:mm. The original
values were 10:00, 3:00, 12:00. I was expecting to get 25:00. What I am
getting is 577:00

Which is funny, but not very useful.

Can you help, Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure you don't have an AM/PM problem. If you format your cells as
General you should see:

0.416666667
0.125
0.5
1.041666667

--
Gary''s Student

"Ed H" wrote:

I looked at a couple of similar questions but have not been able to achieve a
good result.

I have a few cells defined as Time HH:MM. I want to sum them up so I get
hours and minutes. In the cell to hold the total, I used "=SUM(N43:N47)". I
formatted the Total cell as custom with a format of [hh]:mm. The original
values were 10:00, 3:00, 12:00. I was expecting to get 25:00. What I am
getting is 577:00

Which is funny, but not very useful.

Can you help, Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Ed H" wrote in message
I looked at a couple of similar questions but have not been able to achieve
good result.

I have a few cells defined as Time HH:MM. I want to sum them up so I get
hours and minutes. In the cell to hold the total, I used "=SUM(N43:N47)".
formatted the Total cell as custom with a format of [hh]:mm. The original
values were 10:00, 3:00, 12:00. I was expecting to get 25:00. What I am
getting is 577:00

What values are in the other 2 cells? N43 to N47 are 5 cells; you've
quoted 3 values. Are the other 2 empty?
--
David Biddulph