Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cannot copy cell

Hi,

Have a workbook with cells that are merged and wrapped. The text in the
cells often exceed 256 characters. I need to copy the information from one
workbook to another formatted exactly the same. When I select the cell and
copy then paste into the equivalent cell in the other workbook, I only get
part of the text (probably the first 256 characters). If I try to copy the
whole sheet over I get an error message that states "The sheet you are
copying have cells that contain more than 256 characters. When you copy the
entire sheet, only the first 255 charcters in each cell are copied." If I
format a new workbook exactly the same as the original, I seem to have no
problems copying a cell from one to the other. This indicates that there is
something in the workbook setup that is inhibiting my copying the cells.

Ideas would be most welcome especially since I have numerous workbooks to
deal with by close of business today.

Regards

DavidC
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Need to add one further thing that I have just realised. One workbook is open
in one excel session, on one screen, the other is open in a separate excel
session on another screen. I am using the split screen function to do the
editing.

"DavidC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Close one instance of Excel.

You can use WindowNew Window to see a view of two workbooks side by each.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP