Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "file" missing from menu/tool bar

I must have done something, as suddenly the "file" option is gone from my
menu bar.

I have it set to view "standard", and my menu bar starts w/ "edit", and then
proceeds normally. So I'm missing both the "file" option, and the excel icon
that are normally to the left of "edit".

I'm also unable to move the menu bar over - the other menu/tool bars have 4
"dots" running top to botton, and when you place the cursor over them you get
the 4 arrows. The menu bar where "file" would normally be only has 3 dots,
and when you place the cursor over it you get the 4 arrows, but I am unable
to move the bar anywhere.

I've tried closing and restarting, rebooting, and unchecking/re-checking
"standard" in "View Toolbars".

Searched the forum but was unsuccessful as well.

Can someone assist?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can reset the toolbar to its initial state by right clicking on the
toolbar, choose Customize, then select the Standard toolbar and click the
"Reset" button.

HTH,

TK

"jimk" wrote:

I must have done something, as suddenly the "file" option is gone from my
menu bar.

I have it set to view "standard", and my menu bar starts w/ "edit", and then
proceeds normally. So I'm missing both the "file" option, and the excel icon
that are normally to the left of "edit".

I'm also unable to move the menu bar over - the other menu/tool bars have 4
"dots" running top to botton, and when you place the cursor over them you get
the 4 arrows. The menu bar where "file" would normally be only has 3 dots,
and when you place the cursor over it you get the 4 arrows, but I am unable
to move the bar anywhere.

I've tried closing and restarting, rebooting, and unchecking/re-checking
"standard" in "View Toolbars".

Searched the forum but was unsuccessful as well.

Can someone assist?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsCustomizeToolbars

Scroll down to "Worksheet Menu Bar" and hit "Reset".

Note: this will delete any customizations you may have made.

Alternate method.

ToolsCustomizeCommands.

Select "File" and drag up to the menu bar at appropriate spot left of "Edit"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:53:02 -0700, jimk wrote:

I must have done something, as suddenly the "file" option is gone from my
menu bar.

I have it set to view "standard", and my menu bar starts w/ "edit", and then
proceeds normally. So I'm missing both the "file" option, and the excel icon
that are normally to the left of "edit".

I'm also unable to move the menu bar over - the other menu/tool bars have 4
"dots" running top to botton, and when you place the cursor over them you get
the 4 arrows. The menu bar where "file" would normally be only has 3 dots,
and when you place the cursor over it you get the 4 arrows, but I am unable
to move the bar anywhere.

I've tried closing and restarting, rebooting, and unchecking/re-checking
"standard" in "View Toolbars".

Searched the forum but was unsuccessful as well.

Can someone assist?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

Fyi... I am unable to drag it back over (your last suggestion) - I tried
that as well before posting.