Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to: Change color of column / row headers and selected menus?

My colleague pointed out that in excel selected menus and row / column
headers for selected cells were highlighted orange on my screen and grey on
his. I subsequently noticed this to be the case for Word (but not Access).
Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to customize this setting?
Thank you, m
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Word and Excel pull these colors from your Windows Display settings. From
the Control Panel, select "Display". Then select the "Appearance" tab.

From your description, I'm guessing your computer is set to "Windows XP
style" and your colleague's computer is set to "Windows Classic Style", or he
has customized his colors with the "Advanced" button. You can play around
with these settings to find the colors you like best. But be aware, these
settings apply to all Windows applications, not just Word & Excel.

HTH,
Elkar

"mark" wrote:

My colleague pointed out that in excel selected menus and row / column
headers for selected cells were highlighted orange on my screen and grey on
his. I subsequently noticed this to be the case for Word (but not Access).
Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to customize this setting?
Thank you, m

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Elkar/Mark

Actually these colors are governed by Themes, not Appearance.

The WindowsXP and Windows Classic Style are found under the Themes tab in
Display.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:04:02 -0700, Elkar
wrote:

Word and Excel pull these colors from your Windows Display settings. From
the Control Panel, select "Display". Then select the "Appearance" tab.

From your description, I'm guessing your computer is set to "Windows XP

"mark" wrote:

My colleague pointed out that in excel selected menus and row / column
headers for selected cells were highlighted orange on my screen and grey on
his. I subsequently noticed this to be the case for Word (but not Access).
Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to customize this setting?
Thank you, m

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A Theme is actually a broader category. Appearance settings (which control
window coloring) are a part of a Theme. So are backgrounds (wallpaper),
system sounds, and Screen Savers. Each one can be changed independently of
the entire Theme.

So, making changes at the Theme level, when all you want to do is change
window coloring, may have undesirable results.

HTH,
Elkar

wrote:

Word and Excel pull these colors from your Windows Display settings. From
the Control Panel, select "Display". Then select the "Appearance" tab.

From your description, I'm guessing your computer is set to "Windows XP

"mark" wrote:

My colleague pointed out that in excel selected menus and row / column
headers for selected cells were highlighted orange on my screen and grey on
his. I subsequently noticed this to be the case for Word (but not Access).
Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to customize this setting?
Thank you, m

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mentioned "WindowsXP" and "Windows Classic Style"

These are Themes and are not chosen from AppearanceAdvanced.

I don't believe OP wanted to change Window Color, just the row and column header
colors.

Gord

wrote:

Word and Excel pull these colors from your Windows Display settings. From
the Control Panel, select "Display". Then select the "Appearance" tab.

From your description, I'm guessing your computer is set to "Windows XP

"mark" wrote:

My colleague pointed out that in excel selected menus and row / column
headers for selected cells were highlighted orange on my screen and grey on
his. I subsequently noticed this to be the case for Word (but not Access).
Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to customize this setting?
Thank you, m

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On the Appearance tab, the first selection box is labeled "Windows and
Buttons:" The two selection options here are "Windows XP Style" and "Windows
Classic Style". These names do relate to the Themes of the same name,
however when changed here only affect Appearance settings.

wrote:

Word and Excel pull these colors from your Windows Display settings. From
the Control Panel, select "Display". Then select the "Appearance" tab.

From your description, I'm guessing your computer is set to "Windows XP

"mark" wrote:

My colleague pointed out that in excel selected menus and row / column
headers for selected cells were highlighted orange on my screen and grey on
his. I subsequently noticed this to be the case for Word (but not Access).
Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to customize this setting?
Thank you, m

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Elkar.

My eyes have finally picked up the "Windows and Buttons" dialog.

I thought that dialog was on the Themes tab and got all confused.

Funny that.....me being confused, I mean<g

Gord

wrote:

Word and Excel pull these colors from your Windows Display settings. From
the Control Panel, select "Display". Then select the "Appearance" tab.

From your description, I'm guessing your computer is set to "Windows XP