Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Format

Is there any way for me to paste what visibly shows in a cell to what the
data actually is? I have a cell that shows 1101 3/25. It is formatted as a
fraction. In the formula bar, the data shows 1101.12. What I really want is
for the data to be text and show 1101 3/25.

Thansk!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Kelly!
You wrote on Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:25:02 -0700:

K Is there any way for me to paste what visibly shows in a
K cell to what the data actually is? I have a cell that shows
K 1101 3/25. It is formatted as a fraction. In the formula
K bar, the data shows 1101.12. What I really want is for the
K data to be text and show 1101 3/25.

There may be better ways to do it, but what I would do us to
copy the cell in the fraction format, use PureText to remove
programmatic material and then paste. It does work and PureText
is free as I mentioned in another context recently.

The PureText free utility: http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Kelly" wrote in message
When I click on the link, it says this page is not found.

The PureText free utility:
http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

It was there last week but you are right, it has gone! A Google
search comes up with some alternative sites.

These two seem to
work.http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...PureText.shtml
and http://www.snapfiles.com/get/puretext.html

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
"Kelly" wrote in message
When I click on the link, it says this page is not found.

The PureText free utility:
http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

It was there last week but you are right, it has gone! A
Google search comes up with some alternative sites.

These two seem to work.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...PureText.shtml
and http://www.snapfiles.com/get/puretext.html

I tried both those and could not get the download to work so I
asked on another news group. Though I had to endure a snide
comment about not knowing about Google [ :-) ], it turns out
that PCMag has a site that does work even if it is near the end
of the first page of Google results.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

--
James Silverton