Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format Painter Question

This is a follow-up to a previous question; How to turn off the "automatic"
Format Painter.

Since the Forum would not allow me to sign in or reply to the answer I
received I had to come back in through the Excel Help Link and post another
question to give my reply.

I don't really care about how to use this stupid thing, or what key I have
to press to make it go away, just like all of the other nightmare "automatic"
and restricted functions introduced to Office 2003, I just want to find out:

How do I keep this 'automatic' FORMAT PIAINTER from popping up in the first
place???

And, I would dearly love to learn how to turn off these information balloons
that keep popping up and telling me things I already know, like "Enter Your
Message".

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My previous response from an hour ago.

ToolsOptionsEdit.

Uncheck "show paste options button"

I also have "show insert options button" unchecked.

BTW.............it is not referred to as the "format painter"

Format Painter is the little Paintbrush Icon on the Formatting Toolbar.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:15:02 -0700, Rev Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I had already unchecked the "Format Painter", this is what Excel calls it,
option. But, apparently, just like the Multiple Copy Clipboard it will
automatically turn itself back on when the application thinks it is needed.

I wish I could find it in the Registry and set it to "0" just like I used to
be able to do for clipboard, but even the clipboard setting is no longer
available in office 2003.

Depending on what I am working on I now go back to my old computer and use
Office 2000 because in Office 2000 I have more control over these automatic
functions which the programmers decided had to be hard coded in office 2003.

Just curious, since the beginning of applications programmers will give an a
name and program in error messages with specific terms but these names and
terms do not exist in the help files or documentation?