Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Filter causes file to recalculate

I have a file with a lot of calculations and everytime I change the filter
criteria it recalculates. This is driving me crazy. I've changed the
subtotal calculations to sums. Is there anything else that would cause it to
recalculate when the filter is changed?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go to Tools--Options--Calculation and set calculation to automatic except for
tables.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Lynn" wrote:

I have a file with a lot of calculations and everytime I change the filter
criteria it recalculates. This is driving me crazy. I've changed the
subtotal calculations to sums. Is there anything else that would cause it to
recalculate when the filter is changed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then set the whole workbook to manual recalculation. Same tab, different
radio button.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Lynn" wrote:

I have a file with a lot of calculations and everytime I change the filter
criteria it recalculates. This is driving me crazy. I've changed the
subtotal calculations to sums. Is there anything else that would cause it to
recalculate when the filter is changed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel thinks that you have formulas that react to the change in filter like
=subtotal()--whether you have them or not.

So it figures that it has to recalc each time the visible rows change.

You can change the calculation mode to manual (like Dave F suggests), but I
sometimes interrupt the calculation by just hitting the escape key.

I figure excel can recalc while it's waiting for me later. But I do know that I
have to wait for the recalculation to finish if I have any formulas that might
change.

Lynn wrote:

I have a file with a lot of calculations and everytime I change the filter
criteria it recalculates. This is driving me crazy. I've changed the
subtotal calculations to sums. Is there anything else that would cause it to
recalculate when the filter is changed?

--

Dave Peterson