Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Subtotal Averages

I'm have a problem explaining differences in avegages in a workbook created
in Excel 2003

If I use sub totals from the data menu I get the following 4 results using
the SUBTOTAL(1, xx:xx) and SUBTOTAL(101,xx:xx):

99.38
98.17
97.26
98.06

But if I use the the standard average formula, or I sum the range and divide
by a count of cells having values I get the following results:
Average formula 1: AVERAGE(xx:xx)
Average formula 2: SUM(xx:xx)/COUNT(xx:xx)

99.38
98.16
97.23
98.05

While the differences are fractional I've been asked to determine why
there's a difference. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
--
Kevin Backmann
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are there any hidden rows in the SUBTOTAL(1... function's range? I
found this in the Help:
"But, hiding a row in a subtotal of a vertical range does affect the
subtotal."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave, but changing the Subtotal option for 1 to 101 will get the blank
rows, which actually what I was hoping for.

Thanks again.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Dave O" wrote:

Are there any hidden rows in the SUBTOTAL(1... function's range? I
found this in the Help:
"But, hiding a row in a subtotal of a vertical range does affect the
subtotal."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're right about it sounding like it's a rounding error, but the user said
that it was straight input, however, that remains to be seen. I'll peruse
the spreadsheet in depth tomorrow and see if there's any formulas floating
about.

Thanks ...
--
Kevin Backmann

"Kevin B" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kevin B wrote:
Thanks Dave, but changing the Subtotal option for 1 to 101 will get the blank
rows, which actually what I was hoping for.

Blank rows are different from hidden rows. Any hidden rows in your
range?