Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default have one cell display text which reflects a number in another cell

Hi!
I'm sure that this will be a 'given' to most of you. I enter data into time
sheets daily
where i have to enter the job code as well as the job name ie: cell A1, the
job code in A2, I will type the job name . Is there a way to set this up so
that when i type the job code in A1, the job name will display in cell A2?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you set up a database, say in Sheet 2 with your job names and numbers,
say Col A and B, then create a range name for this range - eg JobNames.

Now in A2 enter the following:
=IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,Jobnames,2,FALSE). All on one line!

"excelrookie" wrote in message
Hi!
I'm sure that this will be a 'given' to most of you. I enter data into
time
sheets daily
where i have to enter the job code as well as the job name ie: cell A1,
the
job code in A2, I will type the job name . Is there a way to set this up
so
that when i type the job code in A1, the job name will display in cell A2?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try using a string of IF functions to check the job code and display
the appropriate job name. Here's an example:

=IF(A1="JOB1","Job Code 1",IF(A1="JOB2","Job Code 2",IF(A1="JOB3","Job Code
3","")))

This just checks to see what A1 is and displays some corresponding name in
A2. It will also leave A2 blank if A1 is blank.

It can get a little more complicated if you are using a different convention
for your job codes, though. If say all job codes for a particular vendor or
client begin with the same 2 characters but the rest of the code is
numerically sequential.

Example: AP001, AP002 are both job codes of Atlas Printing. FP001, FP003
are both job codes for Frank's Pizza.

If this is the case just change the logic part of the if statement to check
the first two characters of the job code with the LEFT function.

=IF(LEFT(A1,2)="AP","Atlas Printing",IF(LEFT(A1,2)="FP","Frank's
Pizza",IF(LEFT(A1,2)=...

I hope this helps.

"excelrookie" wrote:

Hi!
I'm sure that this will be a 'given' to most of you. I enter data into time
sheets daily
where i have to enter the job code as well as the job name ie: cell A1, the
job code in A2, I will type the job name . Is there a way to set this up so
that when i type the job code in A1, the job name will display in cell A2?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default have one cell display text which reflects a number in another

Kassie's suggestion is better! Just change the A1 reference in her VLOOKUP
to LEFT(A1,2) if you're matching partial job codes per my earlier suggestion.