Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get the Excel Find function to keep finding what I want?

The "Find" function in Excel 2003 finds what I want sometimes, and on the
next worksheet, it will say "Microsoft Office Excel cannot find the data
you're searching for." I would like to look through a column of numbers, and
they all start with 0.____, or a negative -0.____(fill in the blanks with any
given number ie: 0.452213, or -0.59263). My goal is to identify where the
negative numbers occur. I used the Find and Replace function with the
following settings: "Find what: -0."; no format set, "within: Sheet";
"Search: By Columns"; "Look in: Values".
Any way i can get the Find and Replace function to find what i want?
Much appreciated...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

this may not be what you want, but if you are looking for negative values,
you could use the sort function, or if you want the count of negatives then
COUNTIF. not too sure what you are trying to acheive

"Clueless" wrote:

The "Find" function in Excel 2003 finds what I want sometimes, and on the
next worksheet, it will say "Microsoft Office Excel cannot find the data
you're searching for." I would like to look through a column of numbers, and
they all start with 0.____, or a negative -0.____(fill in the blanks with any
given number ie: 0.452213, or -0.59263). My goal is to identify where the
negative numbers occur. I used the Find and Replace function with the
following settings: "Find what: -0."; no format set, "within: Sheet";
"Search: By Columns"; "Look in: Values".
Any way i can get the Find and Replace function to find what i want?
Much appreciated...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get the Excel Find function to keep finding what I wa

No, unfortunately i can't sort, because my 3 columns need to stay in order,
each column descends in chronological order (Date/Time/Value are the
columns). What I'm trying to achieve is to find the negative value (or
values if they appear in a block of say, 10 rows). Then i'm copying those
values in the order they appear to paste into a separate worksheet. The end
result is, extracting the data that is negative, in the order it appears by
date and time.
thanks for your reply though!

"Clueless" wrote:

The "Find" function in Excel 2003 finds what I want sometimes, and on the
next worksheet, it will say "Microsoft Office Excel cannot find the data
you're searching for." I would like to look through a column of numbers, and
they all start with 0.____, or a negative -0.____(fill in the blanks with any
given number ie: 0.452213, or -0.59263). My goal is to identify where the
negative numbers occur. I used the Find and Replace function with the
following settings: "Find what: -0."; no format set, "within: Sheet";
"Search: By Columns"; "Look in: Values".
Any way i can get the Find and Replace function to find what i want?
Much appreciated...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the date and time are fixed, then you can still sort by value (ascending
or descending), copy and paste the negatives then simply re-sort to your
original order, presumably by date and time. In the paste to the new
worksheet or book, then sort by date and time.

This would maintain integrity of original.