Macliam

Default How do you install help for excel 4.0 macros in Office 2003?

The download center says to download Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel 4.0
Macros, but when I try to runit it says that no Windows 2000 installation is
detected (logical, since I'm running 2003). The run then terminates.

Myrna Larson

I guess they still haven't fixed this bug in the installer package. The help
file for XL2000 that I have works OK with XL2002. I don't know about 2003, but
if you post your email address, I can sent it to you. When you get it, search
for the existing (stub) file of the same name (I think it's XLMACRO.CHM) and
replace that file with the full file.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:43:02 -0800, "Macliam"
wrote:

The download center says to download Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel 4.0
Macros, but when I try to runit it says that no Windows 2000 installation is
detected (logical, since I'm running 2003). The run then terminates.

Dave Peterson

Are these files you're downloading named:

Macrofun.exe
Macro97.exe

If yes, I could right click on each and open them in Winzip and extract
manually.

http://www.winzip.com

Has a try before you buy policy.

(and maybe your favorite zip program will open them, too.)

--

Dave Peterson
Myrna Larson

Certainly not the last one. The format for Excel 2000 and up is CHM, and the
file is XLMACRO.CHM.

Macliam wrote:

The download center says to download Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel

4.0
Macros, but when I try to runit it says that no Windows 2000 installation

is
detected (logical, since I'm running 2003). The run then terminates.

Dave Peterson

I think you meant the first one (macrofun.exe). (But I see your point.)

The files contained in the last version of macro97.exe that I downloaded are
named:
readme.txt
xlmacr8.hlp
I could extract these using winzip.

But with macrofun.exe, the files are named:
launcher.exe
xlmacro.msi

(I didn't try extracting them--my error. When I double clicked on the *.msi
file, I got that error message.)

I booted up my work pc (xl2k) and extracted that XLMACRO.CHM file. Except for
being different formats (Macrofun.hlp vs XLMACRO.CHM), the content (of the
couple of functions I looked at) seemed the same.

Do you know if they differ in substance?

Maybe macro97.exe would be sufficient.

Macliam wrote:

The download center says to download Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel

4.0
Macros, but when I try to runit it says that no Windows 2000 installation

is
detected (logical, since I'm running 2003). The run then terminates.

--

Dave Peterson

Myrna Larson

I meant that the obvious Excel 97 one wasn't the current file.

I think they differ only in format. Actually the old Hlp style should work,
but perhaps not from within Excel, only by clicking on it from Explorer.

Macliam wrote:

The download center says to download Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel

4.0
Macros, but when I try to runit it says that no Windows 2000

installation
is
detected (logical, since I'm running 2003). The run then terminates.

Dave Peterson

I can be a patoot, huh??!!!
<vbg

And thanks for the confirmation about the content.