-   -   Validation List (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/110999-validation-list.html)

Tdahlman

Validation List

I want to use a listbox for a cell. But I want to have 2 different lists to
choose form based on what a certain cell is. EXAMPLE in cell A2 I want to
have a list box. Now if A1 shows "2418" then I want A2 to have a list showing
different options. And if A1 shows "2499" then I want A2 to have a list with
different options. Is this possibe? if so, how do I do it.
Thanks in advace

Travis

Bob Phillips

Validation List

Use DataValidation, type of List, with a formula of

=IF($A$1=2418,list1,list2)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Tdahlman" wrote in message
I want to use a listbox for a cell. But I want to have 2 different lists

choose form based on what a certain cell is. EXAMPLE in cell A2 I want to
have a list box. Now if A1 shows "2418" then I want A2 to have a list

showing
different options. And if A1 shows "2499" then I want A2 to have a list

with
different options. Is this possibe? if so, how do I do it.
Thanks in advace

Travis

Tdahlman

Validation List

How do I specify that a list is part of "List 1" or "List 2"?
I go to Data, then Validation, then select List. Then I enter the formula
you gave me. But it tells me that "A named range you specified cannot be
found"

Also, What if I want the List 1 to display when A$1$ equals 2418 or 2419 or
2410 etc.

"Tdahlman" wrote in message
I want to use a listbox for a cell. But I want to have 2 different lists

choose form based on what a certain cell is. EXAMPLE in cell A2 I want to
have a list box. Now if A1 shows "2418" then I want A2 to have a list

showing
different options. And if A1 shows "2499" then I want A2 to have a list

with
different options. Is this possibe? if so, how do I do it.
Thanks in advace

Travis

Dave Peterson

Validation List

Debra Dalgleish has some notes:

Tdahlman wrote:

I want to use a listbox for a cell. But I want to have 2 different lists to
choose form based on what a certain cell is. EXAMPLE in cell A2 I want to
have a list box. Now if A1 shows "2418" then I want A2 to have a list showing
different options. And if A1 shows "2499" then I want A2 to have a list with
different options. Is this possibe? if so, how do I do it.
Thanks in advace

Travis

--

Dave Peterson

Bob Phillips

Validation List

You need to either name your ranges and use those names, or just use the
range references (A1:A10 for example).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Tdahlman" wrote in message
I want to use a listbox for a cell. But I want to have 2 different

lists
choose form based on what a certain cell is. EXAMPLE in cell A2 I want

have a list box. Now if A1 shows "2418" then I want A2 to have a list

showing
different options. And if A1 shows "2499" then I want A2 to have a

list
with
different options. Is this possibe? if so, how do I do it.
Thanks in advace

Travis

Tdahlman

Validation List

I still need to know how to use 3 and 4 lists and have multiple options for
one list. EXAMPLE: If A1 = 2418 or 2419 or 2410 or 2422 , then use List1. But
if A1 = 2432 or 2499, then use List2, And if A1 = 2480, then use List3, And
if A1 = 2452 or 2453 or 4552 or 4553, then use List4?

Please help.
Thanks in advance

Travis

Bob Phillips