Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hyperlinks in Excel

Is there anyway to create a hyperlink in Excel(2003 sp2) to another document
that opens in a new window? Any help on this would really be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go to the cell and use Insert | Hyperlink and a 'wizard' will appear to
assist you, you can create links to other places in your current workbook,
other files on your system or network, and even to places/documents on the
internet that are accessible.
The appropriate program will open up to display the document you've
hyperlinked to.

Now, if the document happens to be an Excel workbook, it will open as a
separate window in the same instance of Excel.

Hope this helps?

"Confused and dazed!" wrote:

Is there anyway to create a hyperlink in Excel(2003 sp2) to another document
that opens in a new window? Any help on this would really be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ah, sorry maybe I need to clarify. The excel sheet i am building is a
library to a lot of other content which is stored in a document storage tool
that has a web front end. Users will use their browser to view the excel
sheet, and when they click on any hyperlink in the document i would like this
to open in a new browser window. I know you can do this with front page, but
cant work it out for hyperlinks in excel.

"Confused and dazed!" wrote:

Is there anyway to create a hyperlink in Excel(2003 sp2) to another document
that opens in a new window? Any help on this would really be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have an immediate answer to that. I think how things work
automatically in that situation will be at least partially dependent on the
browser being used. IE 6 handling it one way, Firefox another (as in opening
in a separate tab), and perhaps even IE 7 handling it another way - since it
has tab ability also.

I want to say that perhaps an instruction to users to "Right-Click and
choose 'Open In New Window'" would be one way to handle it, but I'm not
positive that it would work and I don't have anything set up to test that
with right now.

Hopefully someone who has faced this issue before will peek in and shed some
light on it. But I won't drop the issue - I'll look into it further.