Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Auto Filter

Hello, I have a user with a Spreadsheet with a list of names. When Autofilter
is used some of the names are missing on the list. When the list is sorted in
asscending order the name then appears on the list. Does anyone know whether
this is a known bug in Excel or has anyone come accross this before? It's not
a problem really, but it would be nice to know.

Chris.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kentucky

Are there more than 1000 names in the list?
There is a limit to the number of names displayed with Autofilter.
Debra Dalgleish has some workarounds at her site
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Kentucky" wrote in message
Hello, I have a user with a Spreadsheet with a list of names. When
Autofilter
is used some of the names are missing on the list. When the list is
sorted in
asscending order the name then appears on the list. Does anyone know
whether
this is a known bug in Excel or has anyone come accross this before?
It's not
a problem really, but it would be nice to know.

Chris.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

There's a 1000 limit on the number of unique items which can appear in the
autofilter's droplist.

Debra's page has some cool workarounds:
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

If the above is not the issue, try selecting the entire col(s) before you
re-apply the autofilter (there could be some blank rows within the data)
--
Max
Singapore
"Kentucky" wrote:
Hello, I have a user with a Spreadsheet with a list of names. When Autofilter
is used some of the names are missing on the list. When the list is sorted in
asscending order the name then appears on the list. Does anyone know whether
this is a known bug in Excel or has anyone come accross this before? It's not
a problem really, but it would be nice to know.

Chris.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Max,

Thank you, I have been to the contextures site below and found a solution to
the problem. I will show this to the user.

Regards,
Chris.