Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spreadsheet shows the formula in the cell but doesn't calculate

I have a spreadsheet that I tried to add simple formulas to and the cells
show the formula (=sumA1*B1), but does not calculate. Does anyone know why
and how I can correct it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi- I tried that formula like this
(=sumA1*B1)
and like this
=sumA1*B1
.... and neither worked. If you want to multiply A1 times B1, then the
formula
=A1*B1 will do it.

There are circumstances in which adding the SUM formula into a
non-addition situation is useful, but (Warning! editorial content!) I
think it tends to be abused.

Please let us know if that last formula still does not work for you: we
may need to reset auto-calculation if it does not.

Cheers!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming that the sample formula is in error...

I'd try this first.
Tools|Options|View tab|uncheck formulas

If that doesn't help, maybe the cells are formatted as Text.
Select the offending cells
format|cells|Number tab|General (or whatever you want except Text)

Then while that range is still selected:
edit|replace
what: = (just an equal sign)
with: = (that same equal sign)
replace all

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Several possibilities!

Your WS is in formula view mode.
<Tools <Options <View tab,
And under "Window Options", *Uncheck*
"Formulas"

Your formula containing cells were formatted to 'Text' before you entered
the formula.
Change the cell format to either Number or General,
*THEN* you must re-enter (register) the formula again by clicking in the
formula bar and then hit <Enter.

There's a <space in front of the equal sign at the beginning of your
formula.
Remove the <space.
--
HTH,

RD

"mociav" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I tried to add simple formulas to and the cells
show the formula (=sumA1*B1), but does not calculate. Does anyone know
why
and how I can correct it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spreadsheet shows the formula in the cell but doesn't calculat

Try this:
=(A1*B1) or =A1*B1
The issue is the "sum"

mociav wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I tried to add simple formulas to and the cells
show the formula (=sumA1*B1), but does not calculate. Does anyone know why
and how I can correct it?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc