Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hh:mm:ss keeps converting to a date

I am trying to work on a spreadsheet for work where I am keeping track of
time by hours, minutes and seconds. I format the cells for hh:mm:ss.00 but
each time I enter the hours, seconds, minutes, it converts to a date field
and changes to another hh:mm:ss value. The value I have entered is 42:37:26
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select your date cells and then click on FORMAT and then select cells. In
the CATEGORY pane select CUSTOM and then in the type pane select the
following format:

[h]:mm:ss
--
Kevin Backmann

"Brian James" wrote:

I am trying to work on a spreadsheet for work where I am keeping track of
time by hours, minutes and seconds. I format the cells for hh:mm:ss.00 but
each time I enter the hours, seconds, minutes, it converts to a date field
and changes to another hh:mm:ss value. The value I have entered is 42:37:26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Brian,

The hh:mm:ss format is interpreting hours 24 as days and then shows the
remainder.
Creating a special format of [h]:mm:ss.00 gets round this

Anthony

"Brian James" wrote:

I am trying to work on a spreadsheet for work where I am keeping track of
time by hours, minutes and seconds. I format the cells for hh:mm:ss.00 but
each time I enter the hours, seconds, minutes, it converts to a date field
and changes to another hh:mm:ss value. The value I have entered is 42:37:26

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Brian James wrote:
I am trying to work on a spreadsheet for work where I am keeping
track of time by hours, minutes and seconds. I format the cells for
hh:mm:ss.00 but each time I enter the hours, seconds, minutes, it
converts to a date field and changes to another hh:mm:ss value. The
value I have entered is 42:37:26

Hi Brian,

try to format with Custom format. Menu Format, Cells, Number tab, under
Categories choose Custom, then type this format string in the text box:

[h]:mm:ss.00

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy