Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default locked file

This isnt really an excel question but I thought Id try on here just in case
anyones come across this before.

In short I have a networked xls file which the server thinks is open and
therefore the users can do nothing with it apart from use it as read only.

The file is not open but I cant do anything with this file in terms of
delete, overwrite etc.

Anyone know any fancy ways (apart from rebooting the server) how to solve
this problem?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and in use.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution other than
copying the data to a new workbook.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 03:04:01 -0700, Reggiee
wrote:

This isnt really an excel question but I thought Id try on here just in case
anyones come across this before.

In short I have a networked xls file which the server thinks is open and
therefore the users can do nothing with it apart from use it as read only.

The file is not open but I cant do anything with this file in terms of
delete, overwrite etc.

Anyone know any fancy ways (apart from rebooting the server) how to solve
this problem?

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gord

It was on the network which is what has been causing the issues but other
points duly noted and appreciated

Reggiee