Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Personal.xls

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file personal.xls. How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I do not think Excel creates a new Personal.xls every time? Maybe you should
just hide your personal.xls file. A very handy file to store application
wide macros, which you want to be able to use in all worksheets, rather than
have to copy to all worksheets? I would never delete mine!

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file personal.xls. How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kassie,

All of the files are sent via email. I believe it is the setting of Excel
program because there is no personal.xls attached when I open them in my
desktop. Yet there is personal.xls when I open them in my nokebook.

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file
personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Derek, sorry about all the questions. Hope this is the last lot though!

You say when you open the file, the personal.xls is there.

Do you mean that
When you receive the email on your laptop, it shows that personal.xls is
attached, as well as the file you actually want, but when downloading to your
desktop it is not on the email as an attachment.
- Or -
When you download to either machine, the personal.xls is attached as part of
the email.
- Or -
While personal.xls is not attached to either of the actual emails, it opens
when you open the file on your laptop.

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file
personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kassie,

I should have stated clearly so that you would not be confused.

When I receive the email on my laptop, it shows that personal.xls is
attached, as well as the file I actually want, but when downloading to my
desktop it is not on the email as an attachment.

Best regards,
Derek

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file
personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Derek

The Personal.xls file is on your computer......not sent to you.

It is designed to open when Excel starts(opens) to provide global macros.

You can hide it so's you don't see it and it will be in the background with
your macros available. WindowHide. Close Excel and click "yes" to "do you
want to save changes"

If you don't want it to open at all, remove it from your XLSTART folder usually
found at

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

If you type "personal.xls" in Help you will learn quite a bit about the function
of the file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord

It appears as if this file is in fact attached to the email, only when sent
to his laptop. This is beyond me. Why would a file be attached when sent by
email to the laptop, but not shen sent to the desktop. It come from the same
colleaugue, from the same server! I also at first thought that it was his
own personal.xls opening unhidden. The solution is, as far as I am
concerned, to just ignore the personal.xls attachment, and to just open the
file he actually wants? Maybe you can be of assistance here!

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

kassie

I read OP's follow up to you about Personal.xls being an attachment and was
going to get back.

I had posted that it was OP's own Personal.xls opening, but apparently not.

I don't understand what is happening in this case and why the sender is
attaching the Personal.xls.

I would suggest to Derek(OP) that he contact the sender and find out what the
intent is/was in attaching Personal.xls if indeed that is the case and I'm still
not convinced about that.

Derek, if you're reading this, what happens when you just open Excel and an
existing workbook..........not an email..............from your folder?

Does Personal.xls open also?

Gord

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

sounds to me that personal.xls is opening only on the laptop.My 2c
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi all,

I am so sorry for all the confusion. Gord is correct though.

When I open Excel in my laptop, the personal.xls is already there, however,
there is no personal.xls when I open Excel in my desktop.

Thank you so much !
Derek

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file
personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Personal.xls is not a required file. Personal.xls is created either manually by
the user or when the user chooses to record a macro into that personal.xls
workbook.

Some people store macros that they want to have available to all open workbooks
in this personal.xls workbook. Most people will make sure that personal.xls is
hidden when it's opened.

If you open excel and see personal.xls, then click on window|Hide and close
excel.

You'll be asked if you want to save the change to personal.xls (from being
visible to being hidden).

"Derek" wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I open an .xls document, Excel will create a file
personal.xls.
How
can I stop Excel from doing this?

Many thanks!
Derek

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have a Personal.xls in XLSTART folder on your laptop but none on your
Desktop PC.

Personal.xls can be created when you record a macro.

You just haven't done so yet on your Desktop PC.

Gord