Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change text into time

All,
i have data from a text file, exported to excel.
I have date in the form of text, such as 173012, how do i change this
to show this in time, such as 17:30:12 or 17:30 without having to
change each line individually.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

one way: put this in a column and copy down. Format cells as hh:mm:ss

=TIME(LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,3,2),RIGHT(A1,2))

Copy/paste special=values as required

HTH

"need help" wrote:

All,
i have data from a text file, exported to excel.
I have date in the form of text, such as 173012, how do i change this
to show this in time, such as 17:30:12 or 17:30 without having to
change each line individually.
thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about a helper column of cells with formulas like:

=--TEXT(A1,"00\:00\:00")

And format those cells as Time (format|cells|number tab)

--

Dave Peterson