Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to make a conditional format recognize a formula in a cell

What I have is have a spreadsheet with multiple cell containing data. Some
of the data is retreived by a formual and some is due to a manual input of
numbers. I would like to have a conditional format that would shade the cell
if someone writes over the formula with a value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One method.

Copy/paste this UDF to your workbook into a General Module.

Function IsFormula(cell)
Application.Volatile
IsFormula = cell.HasFormula
End Function

Select the multiple cells........e.g. A1:A10

FormatCFFormula is: =NOT(IsFormula(A1))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:39:02 -0700, WC Turner <WC
wrote:

What I have is have a spreadsheet with multiple cell containing data. Some
of the data is retreived by a formual and some is due to a manual input of
numbers. I would like to have a conditional format that would shade the cell
if someone writes over the formula with a value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you're passing the cell to the UDF, I don't think you want the
"application.volatile" line.

Excel should know when to recalc.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave.

Someone reported a problem with this UDF no updating so I stuck the volatile in
there.

Gord

wrote:

What I have is have a spreadsheet with multiple cell containing data. Some
of the data is retreived by a formual and some is due to a manual input of
numbers. I would like to have a conditional format that would shade the cell
if someone writes over the formula with a value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Press F5.. go to ïƒ*select formulasïƒ*select okïƒ* cells with the formulas are
selected now changes all these selected cell colors (for example make the
yellow).

Next put a conditional formatting for formulas:

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip045.htm

For conditional formatting pattern color select white.

If there is a formula in a cell would be white. If there is no formula it
will turn yellow.

Hope it helps.