Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Autopopulate from a different sheet?

I am trying to auto populate part of a spreadsheet with info that is
currently in a different sheet.

Its an invocie spread sheet where I have to input muliplte alphanumeric
cells that identify the vendor, the kind of business they do, the ledger
number, etc. This info remains constant. The rest of the sheet is populated
with variables (invoice date, invoice number, amount, etc.)

I have all of the constant info on one sheet, and when I have an invoce for
a particular vendor, I then cut and paste cut and pastecutandpaste all the
constant info into the invoice spreadsheet.

The question is: Is there a way to easily auto populate this constant info
linked to a particular vendor?

Lets say I have 3 invoices on my desk. Sony, RCA, Aiwa.

Is there a way I could just type "Sony" in the sheet, and have the
unchanging data assoicated with that vendor populate the appropriate fields?
The go to my next line, type "RCA" and have it do the same?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look at the advanced filter tool.

Data--Filter--Advanced filter

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"aswag74" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check Excel Help on the LOOKUP function. Assuming the vendor
information is distributed in columns, i.e. Column A is vendor name,
Column B is address, C is City, D is State, etc for whatever static
information you have.

On the invoice spreadsheet, you could setup a filter or drop down list
for the vendor cell, that would only pull from the names in Column A of
the vendor sheet, then for the rest of the cells that you want
autofilled, use the LOOKUP command - for example:
LOOKUP(cell referencing vendor
name,VendorSheet!A1:A20,VendorSheet!B1:B20) where cells A1:A20 is your
list of vendor names, and B1:B20 are the cells containing the data that
needs to be returned. What the command will do is fill the cell with
the value in B1:B20 that is on the same row where the vendor name is
found in A1:A20.