Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Show formatting marks

On my boss's computer, a WinXP Pro machine with O2K, if he enters a single '
mark before a number, it is stored as text. This is useful when storing
numbers with leading zeros, such as UPC numbers. If we look at a number
stored as text, the ' mark appears in the formula bar, just to the left of
the number.

Like this: '031655123450

But if I open the same workbook in my computer (also WinXP Pro with O2k),
the mark does not appear, even though the number is still in text format. In
fact, if I enter a ' mark in MY copy of Office, the format is changed to
text, but the mark disappears.

My question is:

How can I set my copy of Excel to show the formatting marks?
--
GateKeeper
Experienced Computer User
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've always been able to see that apostrophe if I type it myself.

But if I format the cell as Text, then I can't--well, unless I toggle this
setting:

Tools|Options|Transition tab
check Transition navigation keys

But be prepared for differences in other stuff.

Home, ctrl-home, Ctrl-End, tab, shift-tab all work differently under this
setting.

I only toggle that setting for a little while, then I toggle it off.

GateKeeper wrote:

On my boss's computer, a WinXP Pro machine with O2K, if he enters a single '
mark before a number, it is stored as text. This is useful when storing
numbers with leading zeros, such as UPC numbers. If we look at a number
stored as text, the ' mark appears in the formula bar, just to the left of
the number.

Like this: '031655123450

But if I open the same workbook in my computer (also WinXP Pro with O2k),
the mark does not appear, even though the number is still in text format. In
fact, if I enter a ' mark in MY copy of Office, the format is changed to
text, but the mark disappears.

My question is:

How can I set my copy of Excel to show the formatting marks?
--
GateKeeper
Experienced Computer User

--