Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Weird appearance of range names and links in new file

Excel 97
I have created a new workbook and brought into it data from an Access
database, by simple copy/paste from the tables into the worksheet.
I have then created pivot tables from this data.

When I try to make a copy of a worksheet by highlighting the tab name,
holding down the Ctrl key and dragging across etc., I am prompted to
deal with strange range names supposedly coming across from the old
sheet to the new sheet. I certainly did not created these names, and
they do not appear in the Define Name dialog list, or appear in the F5
Goto list?

The sheet was also mysteriously linked to a file I do not have on my
laptop: It cites A:\drive etc, which I do not have on the Laptop
anyway, and the directories and filename suggest ancient data from
1998? The only way to rid myself of the pest is to copy the data only
across to a new workbook.

Any ideas appreciated.

Piri

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
to find those links.

Although I don't use access, it doesn't sound (to me) that copy|pasting from
that application caused the links. I would suspect that they were there before.

Excel creates hidden names when it wants. Names with wrn and wvu (and others)
can be created when you run certain features (like report manager or advanced
filter and others).

I think I'd get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and
Matthew Henson) Name Manager

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

You can see what they refer to pretty easily.

--

Dave Peterson