Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem protecting cells in a mult-page workbook

I've got a multi-page workbook in which most of the pages are identical.
There are a number of ranges in these pages which I'd like to lock because
they contain formulas. But i can't seem to make it happen.

I followed the directions in my manual after grouping the sheets. I
selected a worksheet; deselected the locked option in the protection tab;
selected the ranges that I wanted to protect; and went back to the
protection tab to lock my selections. But when I went back to
"tools/protection," the option to "protect sheet" was grayed out.

This option was available when I protected only one of the sheets. Why
doesn't it work when I group a bunch of sheets together? How can I make
this happen? I really don't want to have to do this one sheet at a time.

Thanks much for any leads.
Arsenio.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Arsenio,

It just works that way. You can't protect a multiple selection of sheets.
You have to do Tools - Protection one sheet at a time. You can write or
record a macro to do it. You can do the cell locking to a multiple sheet
selection.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Arsenio Oloroso" wrote in message
I've got a multi-page workbook in which most of the pages are identical.
There are a number of ranges in these pages which I'd like to lock because
they contain formulas. But i can't seem to make it happen.

I followed the directions in my manual after grouping the sheets. I
selected a worksheet; deselected the locked option in the protection tab;
selected the ranges that I wanted to protect; and went back to the
protection tab to lock my selections. But when I went back to
"tools/protection," the option to "protect sheet" was grayed out.

This option was available when I protected only one of the sheets. Why
doesn't it work when I group a bunch of sheets together? How can I make
this happen? I really don't want to have to do this one sheet at a time.

Thanks much for any leads.
Arsenio.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh well...

At least I know I wasn't missing something.

Thanks for your help.