Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy text from word with returns into one cell

I have several rows of text in a cell in Word table (divided by manual line
breaks). I would like to copy that text into one cell in Excel. Is there a
way to do that or will it only copy each line in the Word table cell to
individual rows rather than a cell in Excel?

Carolyn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you. Is there any way to get around this? I tried creating a macro
where I copied text out of one cell, went to the previous cell and put in an
alt return and them pasted into the previous cell. It didn't work.

"Carolyn" wrote:

I have several rows of text in a cell in Word table (divided by manual line
breaks). I would like to copy that text into one cell in Excel. Is there a
way to do that or will it only copy each line in the Word table cell to
individual rows rather than a cell in Excel?

Carolyn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters,
then excel will bring them over as separate cells.

One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to unique
characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds.

I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file):
Select your table.
Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)
Find what: (paragraph mark under Special button)
replace with: $$$$$ (if $$$$$ doesn't appear in the table)
replace all

Same thing with Manual Line break (from under Special).

Now copy the table into Excel.

Edit|Replace
Replace what: $$$$$
Replace with: ctrl-j
replace all.

Don't forget to close the word document without saving (or hit undo as many
times as necessary).

Carolyn wrote:

I have several rows of text in a cell in Word table (divided by manual line
breaks). I would like to copy that text into one cell in Excel. Is there a
way to do that or will it only copy each line in the Word table cell to
individual rows rather than a cell in Excel?

Carolyn

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Neat, neat neat. Thank you so much I had tried the replacement of the manual
line breaks with a unique character(s) but didn't know what to do once I
copied it into Excel. I knew nothing about the control j option in the
replace field.

Again, many thanks. This saved me a lot of time.

Sincerely,

Carolyn E. Weiss

Carolyn wrote:

I have several rows of text in a cell in Word table (divided by manual line
breaks). I would like to copy that text into one cell in Excel. Is there a
way to do that or will it only copy each line in the Word table cell to
individual rows rather than a cell in Excel?

Carolyn

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could have hit and held the alt-key while typing the 0010 on the numeric
keypad (not above QWERT keys).

But ctrl-j is easier to describe (and do!).