Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Recent ODBC problem linking to CSV data

Hi,
I have a whole pile of Pivot tables linking to csv tables that have been
performing well for years and years.
At the end of last week, users started complaining that they could not
update their tables.
They were getting the "too few parameters" message when the table tried to
load the data.
On all the tables.
I can't understand why...
The CSV data is churned out by a remote system and FTP'd to the windows
machine. Nothing changed there.

I'm beginning to susect a Microsoft update that has added some new features
to the ODBC driver ??
Has anyone else been getting these problems, suddenly?

TIA

Safety

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Replying to myself because I have spent the entire afternoon on this one....
I have it sorted out.

I was looking for a common denominator.
I had it figgered that it was something that had modified all my users PCs
in one fell swoop, like an MS update,
or soemthing on the server (because they have that in common too.)

Well, it was the server.
When Excel imports external data into a PT it needs the dat to be housed a
"network disk" with a drive letter. Mine is I: and it is on a local server.
On that driver, along with a ll my data files there is a file that is called
: schema.ini.
I'd never noticed it before.
It looks like this

[exported mts mothly by prog.dbf]
ColNameHeader=False
Format=TabDelimited
MaxScanRows=25
CharacterSet=OEM

[exported mts mothly by prog.txt]
ColNameHeader=True
Format=Delimited(;)
MaxScanRows=25
CharacterSet=OEM

I had stuff like this I don't know why.
[lbrtgs2.txt]
ColNameHeader=False
Format=TabDelimited
MaxScanRows=25
CharacterSet=OEM
and
That "ColNameHeader=False" was forcing MSQuery to interpret the first line
as data.

I also had stuff like this
[lyf9.csv]
ColNameHeader=True
Format=CSVDelimited
MaxScanRows=25
CharacterSet=ANSI

but
Format=Delimited(;) seems to work better than Format=CSVDelimited when the
data is not separated by semi-colons and inveted commas.

There you go.
HTH
Safety