kfoix

Default How do I set up having a letter = a value?

I want to know if there is a way to type a letter in a column and make it
represent a value. For example. If I type the letter b in column e1 I want
it to represent a formula in c1. I am setting up a spreadsheet for my co
workers to use and want it to be user freindly so they can type either a or b
in a column and have it calculate the correct formula.
Leo Heuser

kfoix

Another option:

=CHOOSE(MATCH(TRUE,E1={"a","b","c"},0),formula1,fo rmula2,formula3)

Up to 29 formulae can be used.

--
Best Regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"kfoix" skrev i en meddelelse
I want to know if there is a way to type a letter in a column and make it
represent a value. For example. If I type the letter b in column e1 I

want
it to represent a formula in c1. I am setting up a spreadsheet for my co
workers to use and want it to be user freindly so they can type either a

or b
in a column and have it calculate the correct formula.

RagDyeR

You can create "named formulas" using
<Insert <Name <Define

In the "Name Box", enter "A" (no quotes)
Click in the "Refers To" box,
Hit <F2 (to enter edit mode), then type this in:
=$A$1+$B$1
Then <OK

Enter some values in A1 and B1.

Then in any cell enter:
=A
And you'll see the results of your formula (A1+B1)

You can also use this "A" in other formulas as a calculated value.

=IF(C1a,a+C1,a)

For some strange reason, XL will not accept all the letters as labels, "C"
for example is restricted.

Also, be sure to use *absolute* references.
If you don't, the cell in focus when you were naming the formula becomes the
"origin" reference, exactly as if it were in an Offset formula.
--

HTH,

RD