Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Kicking Out" Inactive users 2

In reference to this macro below (which is great by the awy) i can get it to
work, but it closes the spreadsheet regardless of activity after the time
limit. I have the code as it appears below in these threads, any ideas?

------------------------------------
Mike, just tested and it works for me, try taking out the lines

ThisWorkbook.Save
ThisWorkbook.Close

and replacing with this

ThisWorkbook.Close True

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Mike The Newb" wrote in message
Paul - almost there!

Paul - almost there.

The code works great up until ThisWorkbook.Close and I get a "code
interrupted" pop up; when I choose Debug it highlights the
ThisWorkbook.Close
and if I hit continue it runs its course and closes the file. Oddly, it
does
close itself, without any issues, if I am not in an Excel window watching
it
do its thing.

Dim DownTime As Date
Sub SetTime()
DownTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:20")
Application.OnTime DownTime, "ShutDown"
End Sub

Sub ShutDown()
ThisWorkbook.Save
ThisWorkbook.Close
End Sub

Sub Disable()
On Error Resume Next
Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=DownTime, Procedu="ShutDown",
Schedule:=False

Mike

"Paul B" wrote:

Mike, click on your workbook on the left side, go up to insert ,module
put
that code in there, you should see the thisworkbook module,

you may also what to have a look here on getting started with macros

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Mike The Newb" wrote in message
Paul - the code looks usable enough but I don't see a Standard Module.
can
find the Workbook but I only see Modules 1-10 in the VBE windows on the
left
side of the screen in one existing file and a newly created file shows
no
Modules listed at all.

What is the Standard Module and where can I find it?

Just a Newb like the nickname implies. Thank you for your insight and
patience.

Regards,
Mike

"Paul B" wrote:

Mike, not sure where I got this code but this should get you started

this will auto-close the workbook after 20 seconds of inactivity

'***************************************

'put this in a standard module

Dim DownTime As Date

Sub SetTime()

DownTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:20")

Application.OnTime DownTime, "ShutDown"

End Sub

Sub ShutDown()

ThisWorkbook.Save

ThisWorkbook.Close

End Sub

Sub Disable()

On Error Resume Next

Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=DownTime, Procedu="ShutDown",
Schedule:=False

End Sub

'*******************************************

'************************************

'put this in thisworkbook

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

MsgBox "This workbook will auto-close after 20 seconds of inactivity"

Call SetTime

Call Disable

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)

Call Disable

Call SetTime

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal
Target
As Excel.Range)

Call Disable

Call SetTime

End Sub

'*****************************

--
Paul B
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from

"Mike The Newb" wrote in
message
I have a file that only allows one user at a time to have
write/update
authority (first one in locks it up); there are five people with
this
modification authority. The problem is one of them opening it and
then
walking away for an extended period of time and thus the others
cannot
input
their updates. I do not want to make it into a shared file.

Similar to my company's auto password protected screen saver (kicks
on
after
"x" number of inactive minutes), I would to have the file save
itself
and
close if a write/update user hasn't navigated in the file via
keyboard
or
mouse in say the last three minutes. Ideally, anyone who opened the
file
with
"read only" clearance (approximately a dozen users preset as Read
Only)
would
not get "kicked out" as they are not disrupting anyone.

Any clues / insight?

Regards,
Mike

Was this post helpful to you?

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Expand AllCollapse All

Manage Your Profile |Contact us
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |Trademarks