Laura

Default sorting/ordering a column by day of the week

i am making a spreadsheet of a weekly schedule, so i need to be able to sort
and order a column not by day AND date (wednesday, January 8, 2010), but
simply by day of the week. in 'format cells,' there is no such capacity, and
when i sort ascending, it gives me the days in alphabetical order and not in
day of the week order. does anyone know how to get excel to order a column
from monday to friday (or sunday to saturday)? thanks so much,
--
Laura
Jason Morin

Use a helper column. If dates are in col. A, use:

=WEEKDAY(A2,3)

and fill down. Then sort ascending based on this new
column.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

i am making a spreadsheet of a weekly schedule, so i

need to be able to sort
and order a column not by day AND date (wednesday,

January 8, 2010), but
simply by day of the week. in 'format cells,' there is

no such capacity, and
when i sort ascending, it gives me the days in

alphabetical order and not in
day of the week order. does anyone know how to get excel

to order a column
from monday to friday (or sunday to saturday)? thanks so

much,
--
Laura
.

Peo Sjoblom

You would need a help column, assume the dates are in column A starting in A2
in for instance B2 put

=WEEKDAY(A2,2)

copy down, select both and sort by B descending, will group all Mondays,
Tuesdays and so on

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Laura" wrote:

i am making a spreadsheet of a weekly schedule, so i need to be able to sort
and order a column not by day AND date (wednesday, January 8, 2010), but
simply by day of the week. in 'format cells,' there is no such capacity, and
when i sort ascending, it gives me the days in alphabetical order and not in
day of the week order. does anyone know how to get excel to order a column
from monday to friday (or sunday to saturday)? thanks so much,
--
Laura

tjtjjtjt

Another option:
If you format your dates as days-Custom number format dddd.
Then, you can Sort by Days in this way:
Data | Sort | Options
Change the first key sort order to the days of the week spelled out.

This will also work if you've type Monday, Tuesday, etc. instead of storing
dates.

tj