Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default goal seek

hi community

With the given parameter (below), I tried using Goal Seek to find the Cost,
but I got zero value, can Goal Seek solve this ?

example:

A B C D
1 Cost

3 Profit 5%

I am curious and any enlightenment would be much appreciated :)

thanks everybody :)

--
oldLearner57
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Believe you need in cell B1 :
=B2*(1-B3)
Then you can play with goal seek ...

HTH
Cheer
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need a value in B1 before Goal Seek will work. Right now Goal Seek
treats the empty space as a 0 value. Goal Seek is meant to change the value
currently in a cell, not propose an initial value. If the cell has no value,
Goal Seek interprets that as a 0 value.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"tikchye_oldLearner57" wrote:

hi community

With the given parameter (below), I tried using Goal Seek to find the Cost,
but I got zero value, can Goal Seek solve this ?

example:

A B C D
1 Cost

3 Profit 5%

I am curious and any enlightenment would be much appreciated :)

thanks everybody :)

--
oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another consideration: what profit calculation are you performing?
Gross margin is a different calculation than markup.

Gross margin = (Price - Cost) / Price
Markup = (Price - Cost) / Cost