Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File Too large

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has had a problem with an excel file that is too big and
takes ages to open/ close and update. I have a file that is abt 115MB big and
I don't want to split it up. My IT guy tells me it is that Excel cannot
handle such a big file and it is nothing to do with my PC, ie, even if I
upgrade my PC, the speed is not going to improve. Any comments from anyone
pls? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are a number limits to Excel but file size isn't one of them. There
will be a number of factors which will lead to file sizes increasing, look at
"Excel specifications and limits" to check them out. I can understand your
reluctance in splitting up the file but it may be the best option e.g. you
could have a summary file that gives monthly, quarterly on annual totals.
You can link workbooks that can reference various parts and open the extra
books as and when needed. If you are unsure about the best way to set it up,
post your queries - someone will have already been down that track I'm sure.

"Zenani" wrote:

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has had a problem with an excel file that is too big and
takes ages to open/ close and update. I have a file that is abt 115MB big and
I don't want to split it up. My IT guy tells me it is that Excel cannot
handle such a big file and it is nothing to do with my PC, ie, even if I
upgrade my PC, the speed is not going to improve. Any comments from anyone
pls? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've always found that excel slows down when the file size approached 40Meg--but
that depends on how many formulas--but as a general rule I found it much easier
to work with files if they didn't grow past 20Meg.

But I have seen people (like you) describe giant files--but 115Meg is still one
of the biggest I've seen describe in any newsgroup post.

If your file is mostly data, maybe it shouldn't be in excel (maybe a real
database program???).

(I was using xl2k when I was working with most of these giant (40Meg for me)
files. Maybe upgrading to xl2003 (or xl2007????) would be worth trying???)

--

Dave Peterson