Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default TWO FILES OPEN AT SAME TIME XLS:1 AND XLS:2 GROUP???

every time i open a specific file two files open with the same name but with
extentions xls:1 and xls:2. how do I stop that? What happened to cause that?
thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This happens usually by accident in the course of clicking around a
sprdsht. You can do it on purpose by clicking ~Window ~New and have to
instances of the same spreadsheet visible at the same time. I use this
a lot to watch what happens to tab A when I make a change on tab B, for
instance.

To revert to the original, simply click the X on xls:2 in the upper
right corner, just as if you were closing the file. xls:1 should now
be visible with no :1 extension. Save this file, and the second window
will not appear until you invoke it again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You inadvertantly created an extra window by hitting WindowNew Window.

Select one of the windows and close it.

Save the workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:55:02 -0700, Jimbomini
wrote:

every time i open a specific file two files open with the same name but with
extentions xls:1 and xls:2. how do I stop that? What happened to cause that?
thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you have are 2 *windows* of the same WB opening.

Simply do a:
<Ctrl <W
You'll see the numbers disappear ... BUT ... if you close without saving,
they'll just come back.

You must *save* the WB after closing the extra window to preserve the
present configuration.

If you go to:
<Window <New Window
You'll create this configuration again.

One of the main purposes of this 'feature' is so that you can click on:
<Window <Arrange,
And choose different displays of the same WB or WS on-screen at the same
time.

--
HTH,

RD