Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HYPERLINK function

Can someone help me understand this function's syntax?

Here's the situation: I have a workbook with a dozen tabs. I want to create
a thirteenth tab, called INDEX, which has hyperlinks to A1 of each tab.

If the first tab of my workbook is called Sheet1, I want the user to be able
to click on a link in the INDEX tab which takes him to cell A1 of Sheet1.

If I think of this in HTML terms, what I'm looking to do is something like
"friendly" name 'click here to go to CNN' is a live link that takes you to
CNN.com.

Possible? I think so.

I'm using XL 2000 if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming your file name as "Test"
and first sheet as "Sheet1", try this ... (paste it in INDEX Sheet)

=HYPERLINK("[Test]Sheet1!A1", "First Sheet")

*** Please do rate ***

"Dave F" wrote:

Can someone help me understand this function's syntax?

Here's the situation: I have a workbook with a dozen tabs. I want to create
a thirteenth tab, called INDEX, which has hyperlinks to A1 of each tab.

If the first tab of my workbook is called Sheet1, I want the user to be able
to click on a link in the INDEX tab which takes him to cell A1 of Sheet1.

If I think of this in HTML terms, what I'm looking to do is something like
"friendly" name 'click here to go to CNN' is a live link that takes you to
CNN.com.

Possible? I think so.

I'm using XL 2000 if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or you can just use the built in hyperlink featu-

Select - Insert_Hyperlink

Highlight "Place in this Document"

Cell Reference "a1"

Sheet "Sheet1"

charlotte

"Dave F" wrote:

Can someone help me understand this function's syntax?

Here's the situation: I have a workbook with a dozen tabs. I want to create
a thirteenth tab, called INDEX, which has hyperlinks to A1 of each tab.

If the first tab of my workbook is called Sheet1, I want the user to be able
to click on a link in the INDEX tab which takes him to cell A1 of Sheet1.

If I think of this in HTML terms, what I'm looking to do is something like
"friendly" name 'click here to go to CNN' is a live link that takes you to
CNN.com.

Possible? I think so.

I'm using XL 2000 if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David McRitchie posted this and it might help you:

=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5)
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheeton e!C5)
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5)

And David also has a macro that builds this kind of table of contents page:

Another option if you want a more generic solution:
http://contextures.com/xlToolbar01.html
It's from Debra Dalgleish's site.

It builds a toolbar that you can use with any workbook to navigate to any
worksheet.

Dave F wrote:

Can someone help me understand this function's syntax?

Here's the situation: I have a workbook with a dozen tabs. I want to create
a thirteenth tab, called INDEX, which has hyperlinks to A1 of each tab.

If the first tab of my workbook is called Sheet1, I want the user to be able
to click on a link in the INDEX tab which takes him to cell A1 of Sheet1.

If I think of this in HTML terms, what I'm looking to do is something like
"friendly" name 'click here to go to CNN' is a live link that takes you to
CNN.com.

Possible? I think so.

I'm using XL 2000 if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good god that macro is amazing.

Thanks.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Dave F wrote:

Can someone help me understand this function's syntax?

Here's the situation: I have a workbook with a dozen tabs. I want to create
a thirteenth tab, called INDEX, which has hyperlinks to A1 of each tab.

If the first tab of my workbook is called Sheet1, I want the user to be able
to click on a link in the INDEX tab which takes him to cell A1 of Sheet1.

If I think of this in HTML terms, what I'm looking to do is something like
"friendly" name 'click here to go to CNN' is a live link that takes you to
CNN.com.

Possible? I think so.

I'm using XL 2000 if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know about Excel2k, but here's how it goes in Excel 2003, hopefully the same in yours:

InsertHyperlink, click "Place in this document" and click the cell

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel