Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trying to sort

This may be a simple formula, but I can't figure out one detail.

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("a",A1:A15))),"a","")

When using a test sheet to try out this formula, I have populated
column A with various single letters of the alphabet. For example, A1
and A15 have the letter "a" in them. A2 and A14 have the letter "b",
(and so on down the column with different letters). The formula is in
column B, staring with B1:B15, and it works-showing B1 and B15 with the
letter "a". What I want to do is sort these letters alphabetically in
order, i.e. B1=a, and B2=a, B3=b, and B4=b. Is it possible with this
formula, or is there another simple way of completing this function.
Also, the way I have the formula, I know it is searching for that one
letter "a". I have put the formula in different columns to search for
individual letters of the alphabet. I would like to write one formula,
but I haven't yet figured that out.

Thanks in advance, you guys are great.

--
johnrhyme1
johnrhyme1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37828

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm confused. Why would you use a formula to sort letters alphabetically,
when you could just use the data sort tool?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"johnrhyme1" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh, forgot to add, when using the sort tool, it replies information is
contained in the cell and will not sort. It will however sort in the
cells with no formula in them, i.e. B16 and beyond.

--
johnrhyme1
johnrhyme1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573822

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I may be using the incorrect word in "sort". What I would like to do is
have column B search column A for a particular letter or word and enter
it in straight order, B1, B2, B3, so on, not B1, B5, B15, and so on. I
do not want B1=a, B2=blank, B3=blank, B4=blank, B5=a, and so on. I
tried different variations of formulas, but can't get any of them to
work correctly.